I never actually wrote about my blood test earlier. Obviously it was only a blood test, I haven't even got the results so it wasn't important, but there were a few things I wanted to share.
First, the nurse who took my blood sample is the same nurse who's been my asthma nurse for quite a few years now. I naively expected it to be a different nurse.
It felt weird. She's known me for years, I mean she must have lots of patients so she probably doesn't remember me, but I remember her. She's always been sweet.
When I went in it was clear she hadn't read my record yet. She smiled really sweetly and offered me a seat, then confirmed I was in for the blood test.
Then she clicked on the screen and was in the middle of saying "what's it for then?" when she read whatever horror was written on her screen and her face fell.
Then she asked to see my arms to check my veins. I tried to just take the left side of the jumper off and just give her that arm, but she insisted on seeing both, so reluctantly I showed her my right arm, absolutely covered in three day old cuts. She didn't say anything, clearly she read on her notes that I'd told my doctor about the self harm. But she looked so sad, it broke my heart.
She was so sweet, she didn't seem to judge me or make any sly comments, it broke my heart.
After she'd taken the blood while I lay on the bed sipping water I almost started crying, just by how sad she looked. So sympathetic. And when I was leaving she asked how I was feeling because I was shaking, then asked "do you have any food on you? I think you should eat something." I told her I would buy something from the shop, but I know she didn't believe me.
I think she might have a daughter in my year. I'm not sure if she goes to my school or not, it's just one of those bits of information you know, but have no idea how. Or maybe she's someone's aunt, either way I couldn't help but feel like she compared me to her daughter/niece.
I wonder how they are.
How many other girls at my school are suffering?
I know three girls who have been hospitalised for anorexia at my school.
One of them was in and out of treatment for three years. She was my friend before she dropped out of school. Not a close friend, I had no idea at all that she was suffering, but close enough that when she disappeared I noticed and was shocked to hear where she went. We used to steal sweets after school and from what I remember she always ate them with me, though she was always generous and gave lots away, maybe I was just oblivious to her starving beside me.
The same with the other girl. She was in loads of my classes. I heard the rumours that spread about her. She started changing in the toilets before PE because everyone would stare at her when she changed, trying to see if she was really as sickly thin as everyone was saying. No one ever asked her if she was okay or tried to help her as I recall. I never either. I feel terrible for it. I never spoke to her, but I should have made the effort.
This was a few years ago. She dropped out of school and never returned, but I'm still friends with her on facebook. She seems recovered, with great friends. But it's terrifying how many people I know just from my school who suffered. I live in a relatively small city. And I know three girls just in my school bad enough to be hospitalised and put in an in patient treatment for months or years.
It's scary how common it is. I mean when I started this blog I never thought I'd find so many likeminded people. As reassuring and nice it is to know I'm not alone, it breaks my heart knowing so many people suffer.
If I don't completely flunk out of school which seems likely if I can't get my brain under control and get the ability to concentrate on anything other than food and hating myself, then I want to be a psychologist. I want to raise awareness of eating disorders, mental illness, self harm, depression. All the things that millions of young people suffer from in silence. If I'd been told about self harm back when I was 13 then maybe it could have been stopped early on. Maybe it wouldn't have worsened and lead to all these other self destructive behaviours. More needs to be done.
I love you all, and if things ever get to be too much, please please email me: mystruggleforperfection@hotmail.co.uk
I really related to this... When I started my blog I never thought I would find so many people who go through the same thing and who feel as bad as I feel sometimes.
ReplyDeleteOn one level I thank the ED for bringing me to you guys, on another I hate the ED for doing this.
Keep strong<3
I fought my way through school and ended up in university...studying psychology. I'm already registered as a Research Statistician and once I finish the degree (2014) I'm hoping to go on to Clinical Psychology. I would definitely advise it. I probably won't change you but you can change other people. I am working as a part time clinical assistant and so far I've never seen an ED case, but the Clinical Psychologist I work for sees many that take it so far that towards the end it's not about losing weight, it's about wanting to die. Though mental illness is an eye opener, you have lead a sheltered life until you've seen numerous patients smear themselves in their own poo. Good luck xxx
ReplyDeleteOh huni.. You break my heart with how much love and kindness there is inside you. It seems like your whole being is full of compassion and selflessness and I adore that about you. You are clearly one of the most endearing people I have ever met and my oh my am I so very thankful to have you in my life. You cannot be blamed for not noticing these girls had eating disorders at the time, I mean as you know yourself we do anything to conceal it and to be left to wallow in it to our hearts content.. It is something at the heart of the ED I think, the secrecy, the silent triumph at the sense of control it gives us.. you never knew because maybe they concealed it so well.
ReplyDeleteIt is sad as you say that there are so many of us. I often look at girls in university and wonder which of them has an eating disorder.. I remember walking in on a girl in the uni bathroom being sick and when she came out of the cubicle I was so concerned for her I couldnt help but ask if she was ok and if she wanted me to get her anything.. she looked alarmed and taken aback by me and after that I have often wondered whether she had an eating disorder, especially as she said she was "fine" but had just "eaten too much" - it didnt hit me at first but after I just felt sad.. that there was another girl just like me.. and it often feels like we are worlds apart from the strangers all around us, yet we may be more similar than we think.
In an any case I am thankful that this has however led me to you, I cant help but wish that we could be happy and carefree - and then there comes that voice telling me that happiness will come when the goal weights are attained. Sick. But its how I feel and I know now that there are others out there who feel the same way. I used to think of myself as an alien but now through blogging I realise I am not alone.
Maybe the nurse was familiar with eating disorders, and perhaps she was sad just as we are sad when our hearts break for eachother? I hope you are fully recovered from the blood tests doll, I know how hard it must have been.
Know that I love you and I am always here for you.
And you are not a mess, you will be able to succeed despite it all. You will get an amazing psychology degree and help so many people and become renowned through out the world. I believe in you, its time to believe in yourself, have faith in your self, you are stronger than you know and I know that you can do anything you want to do, you can achieve anything and everything you wish to and you can become the person you want to be.
Love you always <3 xx
PS: I saw this and thought of you, of us, of our friendship.. Winter is coming :) it makes me smile as I know that the closer it gets the nearer meeting you will be.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thenailasaurus.com/2012/10/winter-is-coming.html
LOVE YOU X
i think the nurse may have saw her younger self in you. its so so common, eating disorders. even in treatment they tell their patients not to eat like a normal women, but to eat how you were taught in treatment. Because so many women have abnormal or disordered eating habits. i think you would be an amazing psychologist because you have an insight into how this actually feels
ReplyDeletewww.strengthisbeauty13.blogspot.com
It is so sad that so many of us are struggling so much, in fact if I think about it too much it really upsets me.
ReplyDeleteBut we have support in each other which is the silver lining to this dark cloud.
I'm so glad you''re getting help sweetie, you are so young and have a bright future ahead of you.
Don't end up like me 12 years down the line and still a mess.
I've lost so much and I don't want that for you, you have too much potential to lose your life to this illness.
Thinking of you x
I think it's so great that you want to help people. That's amazing. I can't tell you that enough. And while I can't write a long email, just know that i'm proud of you for being so kind, caring and strong. You are beautiful and amazing. Never stop being you. I love you!
ReplyDeleteI love this. I elate to it so much. I hate going to the doctor, because they all suspect, since I was discovered to have cuts on my arms, but they never say anything because that was a year ago. I'm terifed to go in now, since I'velost 17 pounds...I'd love to talk to you sometime!
ReplyDelete